3 cups buttermilk
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup Buffalo Hot Sauce
6 chicken thighs, 6 chicken drumsticks
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Up to 11/2 cup bacon drippings
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp Paprika
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large egg
Do I have to use Cornstarch?
Adding cornstarch is a trick from Asian cooking. It makes the chicken even crispier. You don’t have to use it, but if you want extra crispy, you should use it.
- Use a large mixing bowl to whisk together the buttermilk, Buffalo sauce, salt and pepper. Add the chicken pieces, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Put the oil and bacon drippings in your skillet to a depth of 3/4″. Heat to 350F.
- Make the breading by combining flour, cornstarch, egg, and spices in a gallon sized resealable plastic bag.
- Work the pieces one at a time:
- Remove from buttermilk and shake gently to remove excess.
- Place it in bag and shake to coat throughly. Shake off any excess
- Place each piece in the 350 degree oil. Don’t crowd them–3 or 4 pieces at a time. Watch the temp doesn’t drop too much. Fry each piece for 14 minutes, turning once about halfway through. Chicken should reach 165F internal temp.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels. Let rest at least 10 min before serving.